> On 6 Sep 2015, at 21:19, Quincey Morris <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> I’ve been thinking about the implications of this for a couple of days now.
> Of course, you should file a Radar if you see some compiler behavior that
> looks like it ought to work. But I think there’s a higher order problem
> that’s worth noting.
>
> In my experience (which is to say, after a couple of months spent converting
> a fair-sized app from Obj-C to Swift), converting an Obj-C implementation to
> directly an “equivalent” Swift implementation is a lousy experience with poor
> results. There are several waves of consequences from the attempt:
>
> 1. You struggle to find a Swift equivalent of your Obj-C code. It takes
> forever.
>
> 2. You find your equivalent code ends up wordier and somehow more
> "unfactored" than the Obj-C code, even though it is somehow “the same”. You
> hate using it.
>
> 3. You fiddle with the Swift implementation (leaving Obj-C behind, finally)
> to make it a bit more streamlined. It takes forever.
>
> 4. You crash the compiler AND SourceKit, because you’ve ventured into
> uncharted territory in order to hide an Obj-C-derived mess behind Swift
> syntax. You have to look for workarounds at least until the next Xcode beta.

Very interesting indeed. This is the sort of ‘from the trenches' report we need.

I did a few days work on my own fair substantially app with regard to Swift
integration / conversion and made a reluctant gut instinct decision to stay
with Obj-C (even though I really wanted to utilise Swift). There was just too
much stuff (KVO, bindings etc) that didn’t feel like a good fit with Swift
within an established project.

Jonathan