> But I agree that this all (meaning the contortions to get updates onto the
> main thread) seems like too much flash and not enough bang. The easiest way
> would be to dispatch the original update code in blocks onto the main thread
> asynchronously, thus serializing them and generating KVO notifications
> safely.

I thought of that at first, to solve the uncommitted CA transactions issues.
But the syntax is ugly. And I didn’t want to post blocks from all over the
place to the main thread (I have 100+ NSTextfields with number formatters
updated every second… meaning as many blocks...).
So I went for the updateUI solution, which is cleaner: It only requires me to
duplicate instance variables.

At this point, I would like to add that instance variables (and their UI–bound
property counterpart) are mostly double with a few int, so  they aren’t
retained objects subjects to leaks.

> When I think about it in those terms, it’s clear (to me, at least) that the
> *real* problem is one of coalescing a potentially large number of updates
> over time. In other words, this thread is really about premature optimization
> and its ugly consequences.

The issue, to me, is to get my app to run for a few days without crashing. The
only way I have to make it work, currently, is by not updating the UI.
This is a shame considering the time I spent arranging all those textfields in
a nice fashion to make it easily readable despite the large number of displayed
values (and also, IB gets really really slow with that many controls on a view,
making the design part a real pain).