Personally I would do it like this:
1. Figure out what values you need to store
2. Create custom object called configuration; for each window one kind
3. Make it conform nscoding and add a delegate property (which will point
to windowcontroller)
3. implement initwithcoder/encodewithcoder
3. add this to your model

Saving:
As usual

1. override setDocument on your windowController
2. call super
3. get the configuration from document, set it's delegate and apply it
where you need it

I thought of other approaches but they were more ugly or involved more code.
BTW you decided to fight against framework (as others mentioned state
restoration is responsible for this).
Also don't forget to call updateChangeCount (if you don't support undo).