> On Sep 27, 2015, at 8:49 PM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> My point is that if we can’t at least rely on -[NSThread start] returning
> before the secondary starts, there is no way for a seconary thread to call
> back to the main thread without possibility of deadlock.

No, this isn't true.  The only requirement is that -[NSThread start] is _free_
to return _once_ the new thread has started.  That doesn't mean it _will have_
returned.  There's no guarantee that -start will return before the new thread
starts and there never has been.  In fact, it would be very difficult to
implement such a guarantee.

Now, obviously, you're encountering buggy behavior where -[NSThread start] is
stuck for some reason.  It's not yet clear whether the bug is in your code or
in Cocoa.

-Ken