The interest in a "synchronous" call is more an artifact of getting something working and keeping it simple so that I am testing the actual call and dealing with the return response without adding the complexity of asynchronous call backs and multiple threads.

Asynchronous does not mean multi-threaded.

  I will certainly move to that model as my next step. :)

Certainly is less complicated than it sounds

    XMLRPCRequest *request = [self createXMLRPCRequest];

    NSDictionary *params = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
        nil];

        [request setMethod: @"method" withObject:params];

XMLRPCConnection *connection = [[XMLRPCConnection alloc] initWithXMLRPCRequest: request delegate: self];

        if (connection == nil)
        {
                NSLog(@"Connection failed.");
                return;
        }

And then implement the success and failure methods on the delegate.

cheers
--
Torsten