> On Nov 11, 2015, at 2:38 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> You don’t need to subclass NSOutlineView here. Double-clicks are already
> detected and trigger the -doubleAction: be sent to the target of the control.
> This is usually sufficient. If you leave everything standard, then editing
> text cells should ‘just work’ as long as you set the necessary flags to allow
> editing, and implement the dataSource methods that update the model for the
> edited property.

I have a subclass for reasons other than what is being discussed here.  My
issue is, if I do nothing then, when the user double-clicks an item in the
outline a text field is displayed and the user can enter a new string, press
enter and all works well.  My model is updated etc, etc.

How do I put the current string from the item into the edit field ?

I can put a placeholder string there but this is not an editable value.

-rags