On Nov 24, 2015, at 15:38 , Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

> Our selection marking doesn't really work for the tap that segues into the
> detail view. We only use the selection marking when in edit mode (e.g.
> deleting a bunch of items).

I believe the old iOS HIG used to say that you’re supposed to let the cell be
selected on a tap, then unselect it when you handle the resulting action**,
resulting in a highlight “flash”. That gives visual feedback that you hit the
thing you were aiming for. I believe (again and separately) that the original
intent for something like edit mode is that tapping an item to delete would
have this temporary selection highlight behavior, but then the item would get
an accessory icon like a check mark, to indicate that it was going to be
deleted.

I believe (sorry) that many apps have always ignored this approach, and left
cells selected to indicate that they were marked for whatever action was about
to happen, so your current delete action selection highlighting is now pretty
mainstream.

The upshot is that I believe you should probably allow the cell to become
selected, and turn off the selection before, during or after the segue, as
convenient.

The new HIG doesn’t say much about anything, so I don’t know if there is a new
behavioral standard for this sort of thing.

> I can probably do it by iterating all the cells and changing their mode, but
> this seems inelegant.
>
> Is there another way?

If you don’t want the cells to highlight for a segue, then I believe the
correct approach is to change the cell highlight mode.