> On Nov 30, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:
>
> Apple has made a huge change in the way windows are drawn in El Capitan,
> which I cannot find mentioned in the Release Notes.  Here are some examples:
>
> 1.  Create a NSWindow, send it a -display message, and then in that same run
> loop cycle execute some task of noticeable duration.  In 10.10, the window
> will appear on the screen before the task starts.  In 10.11, the window does
> not appear until after the task is complete.
>
> 2.  Programatically create an NSOpenPanel, then display it by executing
> -beginWithCompletionHandler:, and in the compleetion handler, execute some
> task of noticeable duration.  In 10.10, when user dismisses the panel, it
> will disappear from the screen immediately and whatever was behind it will
> show again.  In 10.11, the open panel is immediately replaced by a white
> rectangle, which will remain on the screen until the task in the completion
> handler is finished executing.
>
> 3.  In *many* applications, including BBEdit 11 (latest version), Finale
> 2014, Apple’s MainStage 2 (which I realize is an old version), and NeoOffice
> 3.4.1, more often when they are first installed or updated, typically on
> launch, you will see a black rectangle for up to several seconds before it is
> replaced by a window of some kind.  There is actually a reproducible behavior
> in MainStage 2: Running in 10.11, the spash screen has no background, just
> the text under where I think there was a progress bar.  In 10.10, I remember
> a lot of graphics.
>
> I’ve confirmed this behavior on three different Macs.
>
> Did I miss the announcement of this rather major change?  I suspect that all
> three have the same cause, which is that, starting in 10.11, drawing by
> -[NSWindow display] is now deferred until the run loop cycles.

4. I have an application that uses -[NSWindowDelegate
windowWillUseStandardFrame:defaultFrame:] to determining the frame a window may
be zoomed to. The "default frame" parameter used to be the "visible frame" but
now in El Capitan 10.11 it is something else (has something to do with the menu
bar).

My guess is that this is related to Metal compatibility.

--Richard Charles