When looking at bytes and doing things like this, I prefer using uint8_t rather
than char or unsigned char since it's more representative (this is basic
signed/unsigned arithmetic); besides, you don't want to do an equal-check but a
bit-check since it's a flags field. Technically both buffer[8] and buffer[9]
would be combined to make a big-endian 16-bit integer (Mac legacy of the 680x0
and PPC architectures before Intel), but since all you need to know is if it's
an alias, just do this differently:

   uint8_t *buffer = malloc(bufferSize);
   if(buffer == nil) return NO;

   getxattr(cPath, keyName, buffer, bufferSize, 0, 0);
   BOOL isAlias = (0 != (buffer[8] & 0x80));

This may be faster if FSIsAliasFile does extra sniffing in the file for correct
content, which may or may not be as important for you, or if it checks more of
the xattr for correctness; you need to decide for yourself how far you need to
go, but be sure to try this out on all kinds of alias files, especially those
for files, folders, servers, and volumes.
--
Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPad)
http://www.garywade.com/