> On Dec 9, 2015, at 5:17 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

>>> Hi. Sorry, can you elaborate on that? Is the "virtual limit" the thing that
>>> used to be 600 MB? What's the dirty limit, and how does it compare with the
>>> virtual limit?
>>
>> The virtual limit is how much virtual memory you can use. The dirty limit is
>> how much dirty memory you can use. The dirty limit is the limit you had
>> heard previously, I think 650MB on most devices.
>
> Sorry, more questions, to be sure that I'm clear. If there's a discussion
> somewhere of this already, feel free to point me to that.
>
> - Is there still a 650 MB dirty limit, even on iPad Pro (which has 4GB, more
> RAM than any previous device), or has that increased as well?

I think it has, but I don’t know what the size it has increased to is.

> - By "virtual memory," I'm sure you don't mean it's swapping to disk (flash).
> Or do you? If not, how is it virtual?
> - Is there any way to programmatically determine what these limits are, for
> diagnostic, debug, and development purposes? It would even be helpful to know
> that we're approaching a limit, it might allow us to do something in the
> moment to prevent being killed by iOS, even if it's at the expense of
> execution time (something we don't want to do on a normal basis).

You can determine the virtual limit by trying to allocate memory. As long as
you don’t write to the memory, its a virtual allocation. Once you start writing
to it, the written to memory becomes dirty, and falls under your dirty memory
limit. You can also use Instruments to monitor memory usage and watch when you
hit jetsam limits (and inspect the resulting reports).

--
David Duncan