Hi Again
\
> On 25 Jan 2016, at 19:22, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 25, 2016, at 10:48 , Dave <d...@looktowindward.com
> <mailto:d...@looktowindward.com>> wrote:
>>
>> myNewObject = [super initWithSomething: something];
>
> This is a dangerous thing to do. At this point ‘self’ might not be a properly
> initialized object, if the ‘super’ call returns a different object from
> ‘self’. You’re better off assigning the result to ‘self’ as usual.

Ok, great.

>> [LTWCacheManager addToCache: myID];
>
> Huh? You’re not passing the object being cached, so how can you get it out of
> the cache again later? If the ID is a string that contains the object
> pointer, then at the very least the object isn’t being retained by the cache,
> is it?

Sorry typeo in the pseudo code, it passes the object and it is retained….

>>      self = myNewObject;
> […]
>>      return self;
>
>> self = myCachedObject;
>> return self;
>
> These aren’t really meaningful. Assigning to ‘self’ doesn’t really achieve
> anything, other than the possibility of getting it wrong. If you want to
> return an object other than self, then just write ‘return myNewObject’ or
> ‘return myCachedObject’.

Ok, point noted. My question is, after then it is autoreleased, does this cause
a problem, what happens after the first time? If its not in use by anything
else, then the cached object will have a retainCount of 1, so it will need just
one release (when the cache is cleared) which will cause it to dealloc, is this
correct? IOW, the autorelease will basically just be a NOP?

Thanks for taking your time on this, just want to make sure I understand MMM
correctly in this case as its been a while since I have had to do anything this
horrid!

All the Best
Dave