I am a little bit confused by Scott's statement that "if you use layers-hosting
views, then you should not rely on view drawing at all ... conversely, if you
use layer-backed views then you should not directly access the views."

  I may just misunderstand what Scott means, but I have used layer-backed views
with great success.  In a typical scenario, I implement a custom NSView
subclass just like I would before Core Animation Layers.  To animate the view's
drawing, I use a timer to trigger calls to -setNeedsDisplay: and implement
-drawRect: to draw whatever stage of the animation is appropriate based on the
current time. I have not had any problems when my ordinary custom views become
layer backed... I don't think...  And I get transparency and layering over
opengl content for "free" with layer-backed views.

  I used to do similar things before Core Animation too.  Apple provided an
"overlay view" sample that did the same things.