On Feb 8, 2016, at 5:13 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:

>> On Feb 8, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm using reachability classes to determine if we can reach our web services
>> IP and monitoring all reachability enums, but would be "really nice™" is if
>> there is a published API to read the position of the Airplane Mode setting.
>
> Do you need to treat airplane mode differently than just turning off WiFi
> (and cellular, if the device has it), or simply being out of reach of a base
> station?
>
> Generally it’s enough to know that the host isn’t reachable, or that there
> are no available network interfaces.

Apparently, I do.  We have a client who puts his device in Airplane Mode
overnight and he’s on the other side of the planet.

I’ve created multiple tests using reachability and it would be REALLY EASY if
we could simply respond to changes in the Airplane Mode switch.

BUT, I know this isn’t everything.  I am well aware that the connection will
often take time to negotiate, so I have several methods meant to test if our
iOS app can “see” our web server once reachability has changed.

We have some ugly code underneath that doesn’t fail properly (does nothing on a
fail) and I’m sure that’s related to the issue, but it’s scary in there and I
don’t have the all the time this requires to address that.