> On 27 Feb 2016, at 11:17 am, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Yes, that works, thanks! I just thought there might be a "preferred" way to
> do it. I guess I was hoping for something like:
>
> [myTableView selectRowAtIndexPath:indexPath
>                         animated:YES
>                   scrollPosition:UITableViewScrollPositionMiddle
>         triggersDelegateCallback:YES];

What gain would that afford you, though?

I believe that the table view API is designed this way to afford the programmer
control and flexibility. Perhaps your didSelectRow:... implementation calls
some private method to do the business logic, say -[self fireTheRockets]. In
that case, you could simply call fireTheRockets directly here instead.

By contrast, the delegate API provides your code a means to act on external
events (user input) brokered by the table view. Perhaps in such a case there is
additional UI-related work not suitable for inclusion in fireTheRockets.

This decoupling enables you to separate these concerns.

-ben