From the NSCopying protocol reference:

If a subclass inherits NSCopying from its superclass and declares additional
instance variables, the subclass has to override copyWithZone: to properly
handle its own instance variables, invoking the superclass’s implementation
first.

There are many other good tidbits of info in there, check it out and hopefully
it will cover what you want to know.

Doug Hill