> teach your cell classes to respond to that property

Want to think about this out loud. Wondering what would 'trigger' a lookup
on the layout's layoutAttributesForItemAtIndexPath ... and where would I
store the indexPath I am dragging around.

If I were to be more literal - in my view controller, I handle the
UIGestureRecognizerState.Began event. At this point, I can get the
indexPath of the element I am about to move and if I change something on
that cell at that time, it sticks for the life of the drag without
reference to layoutAttributes. I also handle the
UIGestureRecognizerState.Changed event and again, if I retrieve the cell at
the gesture's locationInView and change things in it ... those changes
stick until I let go of the drag.

Stepping into the custom layout for a minute ... as you suggested, I am now
implementing layoutAttributesForInteractivelyMovingItemAtIndexPath ... and
that is getting invoked in response to the
updateInteractiveMovementTargetPosition call I am making as the gesture
location changes. Now, I know the collection view's methods are triggering
the layout's callbacks - but I'm not sure what would trigger me to fetch
the custom attributes you are suggesting. At a minimum, to ask the layout
for the attributes at that indexPath, I'd have to actually be tracking the
'selectedIndexPath' in which case, I could just get the cell and modify it
directly.

I guess I'm wondering how to "teach my cells classes to respond to that
property" ... Cells are reused so I'm not even sure how I'd go about
setting up and tearing down a KVO type relationship for the specific cell I
am dragging around. Maybe there is a WWDC video that digs into this? or
it's an easy explain?

Sorry for being so long-winded. I'm not sure I'm communicating my question
well. Hope you can understand my underlying question and nudge me the right
way but at any rate, thanks for your help so far. I'd love to use an
elegant, "made for CollectionView" solution ... but I don't think I'm
looking at it correctly yet. Just in general I guess, how can a change to
the layoutAttributes cause my CollectionViewDelegate and DataSources to
fetch the cell I'm dragging around and change it (or does it not require
the delegates or datasources ... ?)

Thanks,
-Luther