I’m developing my first iOS game. I let the player pick photos as images for
the sprites, and currently use SKCropNodes to combine layers. So each sprite on
the screen is a crop node.

This works great on my iPhone 6, but performance is just awful on my iPad 2. I
think I should (a) make sure selected photos are converted so they are no
larger than what I’ll actually need to display—in other words never scaled down
for display in the game, and (b) find a way to combine my layers into one image
and use that to make the SKSpriteNodes, rather than trying to have a bunch of
crop nodes moving around onscreen at once.

Can anyone recommend a good book or site or video course where I could learn
how to do such image manipulation on iOS?

--

Charles