Yep. My understanding may be incorrect, but I think MPVolumeView controls the
system volume. People have apparently found ways to bring the window up and use
fake touches to alter the system volume programmatically, but because it
controls the overall volume of all apps you switch to and the next app you run,
I think making use of these tricks would upset users.

--

Charles

On March 27, 2016 at 17:56:22, Graham Cox (graham....@bigpond.com) wrote:

> On 28 Mar 2016, at 12:26 AM, Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to let users select their own background music from their music
> libraries. From my researches, I can only find the MPMusicPlayer and its
> associated media picker as the way to let the user make his or her own play
> list; but if I use those interfaces, I cannot control the volume, so the
> background music will be too loud. The user can of course lower the system
> volume to compensate, but doing so will attenuate the game’s sound effects as
> well.
>
> Have I missed anything, or is that really the current state of affairs on
> iOS?

I’m unfamiiar with programming this task, but a quick trawl through the docs
led me to MPVolumeView, which seems to the current approach to handling
playback volume on iOS.

—Graham