> On 21 Mar 2016, at 20:19, Steve Mills <sjmi...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> On Mar 21, 2016, at 14:09:48, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thread 9 is apparently what's blocking your main thread.  It is animating a
>> progress indicator.  I have encountered my own problems with this heartbeat
>> thread deadlocking Cocoa.  (You are not encountering a deadlock, per se.)
>> You can try removing the progress indicator from your UI, turn off its
>> animation, or configure it to not use threaded animation (set the
>> usesThreadedAnimation property to false; you can do this in IB via user
>> attributes).
>
> Interesting. I'd looked at that thread and assumed that Apple knew what they
> were doing, so I ignored it. Thanks again for you expertise.

 It could be a combination of Ken's and Carl's issues: drawing taking
unexpectedly long due to GPU not being activated, and that in turn causing the
heartbeat thread to take out the lock too often, starving the other thread.

 It could also be a side effect of anything else you're doing on a thread.
Particularly if, somewhere, you're accidentally doing UI on a non-main thread.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://stacksmith.org