> On 21 Apr 2016, at 3:22 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Apr 20, 2016, at 22:16 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>> But it’s 10.9+ only. I really need a solution that will work back to 10.7
>> (or 10.8 at the latest).
>
> Then I’d guess you’d need to construct the entire URL as a string first, then
> use initWithString. Presumably ‘URLByAppendingPathComponent’ %-encodes a #
> because you’ve told it that your substring is a *path* component. If you give
> it a whole string, I’d assume it figures out that it’s got a “fragment” at
> the end.
>
> But I’m just guessing now.

Yah, that works. Thanks.

It strikes me that it’s a bug that URLByAppendingPathComponent: doesn’t parse
for a fragment just as -initWithString: does though, the anchor/fragment is a
perfectly reasonable part of a path and what other possible ambiguious meaning
could it have? It makes hard work of something that should be easy.

—Graham