I have a navigator object which maintains a stack of NSViewControllers. When I create a new NSViewController and push it to the navigator, I want the view's back button to show the name of the previous view. If the navigator tries to set the title of the button, the button is still null because it has not yet awoke from the nib. The navigator can pass the previous view to the new view so that when the new view does an awakeFromNib, it can get the title of the previous view and set its back button accordingly. This works, but I'm concerned that if awakeFromNib is being done in a separate thread then I have a race condition between awakeFromNib and the navigator setting the previous view. Though it works now, might it break with a multicore computer?