On Apr 22, 2016, at 6:19 PM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 16:12 , Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, CFRunLoopPerformBlock: works well!
>
> But it sounded like you *didn’t* want to prevent the block from running. In
> that case, dispatch_async would be all you’d need. (AFAIK, it doesn’t
> interact with run loops, which means the block will always run.)
>
> OTOH, if you were trying to *prevent* your block from running until the run
> loop exited a mode, then I guess CFRunLoopPerformBlock is what you’d want.

The main dispatch queue is processed in the common run loop modes.  It is not
correct that "it doesn’t interact with run loops, which means the block will
always run".  If running in the common modes is what you want to achieve,
there's no need to use CFRunLoopPerformBlock().  You'd only need to use that if
you want it to run in some other mode(s).

Also, if you use CFRunLoopPerformBlock(), you generally want to call
CFRunLoopWakeUp() immediately after.  See the docs for the former.

Regards,
Ken