I’ve noticed a problem with the way key events are sent to views (at least in
10.11.4, but it’s likely a longstanding issue).

If I type an ordinary key, I get a -keyDown:, when I release it, I get a -keyUp:

If I type an ordinary key with the command key down, and the key isn’t a menu
shortcut, I get the -keyDown:, but never receive a -keyUp:

If I type an ordinary key (getting the -keyDown:), keep it held, press command,
then release the first key, I also get no -keyUp:

This only happens with the command modifier, not any of the others. This is
proving to be a nuisance because my app uses a keyup/keydown pair to set a
temporary mode that persists only while a key is held. Without the keyup, the
mode doesn’t recognise when to end. I can mitigate this somewhat in my code,
but ultimately the lack of a -keyUp: is the real problem. Is this a bug or is
it intentional? Why wouldn’t a cmd-key combo (that wasn’t a menu shortcut) NOT
send a keyup?

—Graham