Extended attributes have been part of the Macintosh operating system in a few
different forms since 1984. Up until Mac OS 9, the only alternative was a
resource fork. In Mac OS 9, named forks were introduced, although only data and
resource were practically available, and under the Mac's Unixification in OS X,
they were implemented as extended attributes. You can add the @ symbol to the
ls command to list all available extended attributes on a file or directory
(yes, directories):

    ls -al@

The details are a bit more complicated, but for most needs, even a backup
service, this should suffice. There are wikis that go into greater detail.
--
Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPhone)
http://www.garywade.com/