On Jun 18, 2008, at 12:24 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:

On Jun 18, 2008, at 1:49 PM, JongAm Park wrote:

Can anyone tell me why the two different data source are displayed as same "자연", while what it contains are different?

I haven't looked into the specific character sequences in-depth, but I suspect the difference is in Normalization Forms. Specifically, form C vs. D.

http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/

The idea is that the same character can be obtained from a single code point or by several combining code points.

In Cocoa, see -precomposedStringWithCanonicalMapping and - decomposedStringWithCanonicalMapping.

Sure looks like it, based on the data. EC 9E 90 is U+C790, "자"; E1 84 8C E1 85 A1 is U+110C "ᄌ", U+1161 "ᅡ", which is the decomposed version of the same thing. -[NSString fileSystemRepresentation] may also be of use here, given that this is really a file path -- the normalization form used for file names is dictated by the file system.

--Chris Nebel
AppleScript Engineering