I put in a table-view for the top half of a OS X storyboard, and a tab-view for
the bottom. I couldn't figure out how to modify the tabs with more controls.
Eventually I followed web tutorial and replaced the tab-view with a custom view
that's attached to a tab-view controller, which itself has two view controllers
for the panes.

Is there a way to make the first configuration work? I have a little code
spread over four view controllers instead of one. I having a hard time making
the four controllers work together, so I want to use just one as originally
planned.

Sent from my iPhone