On Jul 1, 2016, at 13:03 , Matthew LeRoy <mle...@minitab.com> wrote:

> Just to clarify, there’s only one file extension in question here.

Ah, apologies if I misread the original explanation.

> Our app declares an exported UTI for our file format, while the competitor’s
> app declares an imported UTI for our file format with the same file extension
> but with a slightly different UTI

I think you’re Doing It Wrong™ — or, really, the other (importing) app is. File
extensions are a free-for-all, and they’re NOT definitive for the UTI. It’s the
other way round.

So there’s no question of import/export “precedence” here, because the UTIs are
different, and the congruence of the extensions is irrelevant. LS will pick one
UTI from the extension based on its own whims, and one of the apps is out of
luck.

If the 3rd party app is using a different UTI, it needs to be fixed to use the
same UTI as your definitive exported UTI, regardless of extension.

I haven’t thought this through carefully, but you might be able to work around
the problem by importing the 3rd-party (“wrong”) UTI in your bundle, as well as
exporting the correct one. If the role in your bundle is “editor”, the LS may
prefer your app when both are installed.