I am "presenting" a view controller (*modaly*) on an iPhone and I'd like to
hide the status bar while the *modal* view controller is visible. I've
implemented prefersStatusBarHidden on the presented view controller and
indeed, the status bar is hidden when the modal view controller is
presented - but, the *presenting* view controller, which correctly shows
the status bar, jerks and also hides the status bar on its own view while
transitioning to the modal view controller (default bottom up transition).

When I dismiss the modal view controller (default down transition) the
presenting view controller correctly appears underneath with the status bar
showing.

I find the jerkiness annoying and unexpected - I think the presenting view
controller should sit still. prefersStatusBarHidden is implemented to
return true on the presented view controller, not the presenting view
controller. Before I file a radar, anyone have a guess as to whether this
is a bug or expected behavior?

In the meantime, any thoughts on a elegant work around? Manual attempts to
animate the status bar away in the completion block of presentViewController
method aren't really continuous or smooth with respect to the presenting
animation.

Thanks,
-Luther

PS: the 2 view controllers mentioned are contained within
UINavigationControllers ... if that makes a difference.