You might try asking on the darwin-userlevel mailing list.

In addition to increasing I/O priority, there may be other ways to make your
disk writes more efficient. For example you can preallocate space for the file
before writing to it. Writing in larger chunks may also help. (Of course you
may have tried these already.)

Using wired memory for your buffers is also a good idea, since if any of those
buffers get paged out things will really go to hell.

Also, I assume you’ve profiled the code and are confident that it’s being
constrained by I/O bandwidth and not CPU time? (It’s possible that I/O requests
made by real-time threads get higher priority; I can’t remember if this is the
case, as it’s a long time since I’ve had to deal with this sort of stuff.)

—Jens