On Aug 15, 2016, at 19:28 , Lou Zell <lzel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it looks like when I embed a binary through the general tab, it is only
> of the currently built binary located in derived data!  I have tried
> rebuilding the framework for a device, but then I get the same error on the
> simulator.

The easy thing to check is to look at the build phases for the app, and make
sure that the framework is listed in the Target Dependencies phase.

If you switch the scheme device in your workspace window from (say) simulator
to device, then build or run, you should see the app target get re-linked
(along with re-compilations for changed files). When that happens, does the
framework target also get re-linked? You can look at the build transcript in
the Report navigator to be sure. If not, then the dependency mechanism isn’t
working as you’d expect. If so, the the path to where the embedded framework
can be found is probably architecture-specific. (Look in the General tab of the
project info of the app.)

If, when you want to switch the scheme device, you also switch to the framework
target and rebuild it manually, then switch back to the app target, do you get
the right framework or the wrong one? That should tell you whether it’s a
dependency issue or a path (or other referencing) issue.

> I've also tried building the framework for all architectures as a
> workaround but then I get an error at runtime about: "no matching
> architecture in universal wrapper".

This isn’t going to work. There isn’t (there wasn’t, and there isn’t AFAIK) a
way of building a multi-architecture framework in Xcode that crosses platform
boundaries, and the simulator platform is macOS even when the target OS is iOS.
So, this approach would solve the problem between (say) 32- and 64-bit
architectures on different devices, but not for device vs. simulator.