I have an app with UITabBar und UINavigationBar(s). All are
non-translucent. So the content area of the view controllers is in between
the two. Now I would like to hide the UITabBar (on action). One would think
this would be enough:

 if let tabBar = self.tabBarController?.tabBar {
      tabBar.hidden = !visible
  }

but apparently the content area stays the same. The UITabBar hides and
leaves a big nothing behind. How can that be? What is in need to be updated?

            self.view.setNeedsLayout()
            self.view.setNeedsUpdateConstraints()
            self.view.setNeedsDisplay()

Of the current view controller? or the navigation controller?

When you look at StackOverflow or Search people are throwing

  extendedLayoutIncludesOpaqueBars
  edgesForExtendedLayout
  layout guides

into the mix but a clear explanation or working solution seems nowhere to
be found.

Could anyone please enlighten me? I've already spent too much with trial
and error. Super frustrating.

cheers,
Torsten