Sent from my iPad. Please pardon typos.

On Aug 26, 2016, at 10:42 AM, Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:

> On 26.08.2016 at 17:35 Gary L. Wade wrote:
>
>> Try clearing your table view's data source and delegate before
>> releasing their object. It appears the pointer gets reassigned to an
>> NSRectSet before your table view completely goes away but after its delegate
>> and data source have.
>
> Great, that solves it. Thanks a lot!
>
> But once again, I think it's a crime that there is no mentioning of this in
> the class
> documentation of "setDelegate" and "setDatasource" :(

Agrees as it SHOULD be understood by the programmer as "well, that is simply
how part of Objective-C works so I should EXPECT to have to set them."

Buuut, to the mind of the person learning this or trying to fit all the
complexity of learning this in their head, it might be wise in the docs to
remind the programmer that they need to do this and why with a, "just in case
you are assuming that your code is ready to function now, please remember that
the objects that end up making a working tableView require that the tableView's
 dataSource object and delegate object need to be assigned, generally to the
hosting view controller's instance of self. If this causes you to raise an
eyebrow in confusion, the reasons why you must do this are xxx and yyyy.
Likewise upon deallocation of the tableView (if it gets called), these objects
will need to be set to nil after zzzz but before the tableView object is able
to dispose of itself."

Please feel free to use this as a running start on an addition to the docs that
actually explains to the programmer how they will most likely set up their
tableView.

- Alex Zavatone