I have a UINavigationController and UIViewController root that I set the
toolbarItems on. I obviously also tell it not to hide the toolbar. Great! Works
perfectly. But when I rotate, the toolbar is hidden - even if I rotate back to
portrait. I've set all the "hides*" properties such as
hidesBarsWhenVerticallyCompact to false (they were already false - but I tried
anyway), and it still hides the toolbar. I’ve put breakpoints everywhere
including symbolic ones for the toolbar hidden properties/methods in UIKit.
Since we are using a navigationcontroller subclass, I even tried overriding the
toolbar methods so that they can't get set to true (hiding that is) and it
still hides the toolbar.

In some ways, I'm okay with it hiding going in landscape, but I'm not OK with
it not coming back when you go to portrait. The view debugger also shows the
toolbar is completely gone. So something in UIKit is removing the toolbar view
and never bringing it back - nothing I do can bring it back. This is obviously
disconcerting. My next step will be to just creating my own toolbar instead of
using Apple’s navcontroller toolbar, but if I can get it to work, that’s my
preference.

Any ideas?