On 01.09.2016 at 19:19 Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 09:42 , Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:

> I know but currently I'm just trying to replicate the exact ATSUI look

> But why??? Your original reason was along the lines of “to see if I
> could”, and the answer is clearly “no”.

Huh? Who said that the answer was clearly "no"? AFAICT nobody said that.
Instead, people made numerous suggestions that I should try out to see if
they can be used to replicate the ATSUI look. So far these attempts haven't
been successful but nobody has said that it would be impossible, well,
except you that is ;)

> Now you’re just setting yourself on fire.

> I can think of innumerable reasons why advance widths may be
> different on different systems:

Me too, but here is the catch: When rendering the text using ATSUDrawText()
and CTLineDraw(), the pixels match *exactly*. There is not a single difference,
it is exactly the same, pixel by pixel. That's why I am of the opinion that
it should also be possible to achieve an identical look when drawing strings
glyph by glyph and manually calculating the advance. If it isn't possible,
that's ok, but at least I can try.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andr...@falkenhahn.com