> On 22 Aug 2016, at 2:27 pm, Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:
>
> On 22.08.2016 at 13:34 Alastair Houghton wrote:
>

>>> On 22 Aug 2016, at 12:15, Andreas Falkenhahn <andr...@falkenhahn.com> wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, I've just run a little test and compiled my app on the
>>> 10.11 system for the 10.11 target and tried to run it on the 10.6 system,
>>> just to see what happens. All I got is a message "Illegal instruction"
>>> printed to stdout, or, when starting the app through Finder, a message
>>> dialog telling me that the app has crashed and needs to be shut down.
>>> Optionally, it offered me to send a crash report to Apple.
>
>>> That was quite a surprise to me. I mean, this is the 21st century, I think
>>> one could at least expect a message dialog telling the user that this app
>>> needs at least Mac OS 10.11 or something, but no, it just crashed, leaving
>>> the user quite clueless as to why it did so.
>
>> The trick here is that you need to set the LSMinimumSystemVersion
>> key in your Info.plist (this appears in Xcode as “Minimum system version”).
>
> Ah, ok, thanks!

It's probably also worth noting that you *can* compile for 10.6 using the tools
on 10.11 by adjusting the deployment target.

The only things you need to watch out for are the fact that you're compiling
against the 10.11 SDK which will happily let you use APIs that didn't exist in
those older versions. Also beware of any new projects you start, as their
Interface Builder files will be set to use auto-layout and won't automatically
set their deployment target to that of the project's main target.

If you're careful, there's no reason why you can't create and compile something
on 10.11 and have it run happily on 10.6 (or even further back if you're
feeling adventurous!)

Mark