> On Sep 6, 2016, at 5:36 AM, Motti Shneor <motti.shn...@me.com> wrote:
>
> All my app does, is use KeyChain APIs to read proxy user/password. I believe
> securityd agent/daemon is the one to prompt user for permission. It runs
> under user ‘root’ - much like my own daemon.

Yes, but root isn’t a normal user account, so various system services (such as
LaunchServices, IIRC) don’t work correctly from processes running as root.

>       * How does it gain access to my Login keychain?

At login time, the Keychain APIs running in your account unlock the keychain by
sending the daemon the keychain password.  The login.keychain has the same
password as your user account, so the login procedure just sends that same
password to security.

> How does it determine which keychain to consult for a specific connection?
> does it somehow impersonate my user (and call the key-chain APIs)?

The Keychain APIs running in a process tell it which keychains to open.

> Can’t believe this is true, because when proxy settings change - who will
> synchronize?

It’s not something that’s ‘true’, it’s just a possible mechanism I suggested
that you might try to use. And yes, it would need to be updated when proxy
settings change.

Anyway, this is not the best mailing list to discuss this. I would suggest
either macnetworkprog or apple-cdsa (the misleadingly-named security list.)

—Jens