> On Sep 20, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:26:27 -0700, David Duncan said:
>
>>> On Sep 20, 2016, at 1:21 PM, Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> WWDC 2016 Session 203 "What's New in Cocoa" at around 43:37 in the
>>> video, says that if you link against the 10.11 SDK that NSTableView's
>>> delegate is weak.  So I went and wrapped my delegate nil-ing in:
>>>
>>> #if MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED < 101100
>>>     [tableView setDelegate:nil];
>>>     [tableView setDataSource:nil];
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> yet (with NSZombie especially), I easily reproduce message-to-zombie
>>> crashes with builds that are made against the Xcode 7.3.1 10.11 SDK.
>>
>> On which OS version?
>
> At runtime: 10.9.5, 10.10.5, and 10.11.6.
>
>> The macro above only says “do this if I link against an SDK prior to
>> 10.11” – that doesn’t handle what happens at runtime when you are on
>> 10.10 or below. In particular, if you plan to deploy back to prior to
>> 10.11, then you would want to either do a runtime check, or for trivial
>> code like this always run the code until your MIN_ALLOWED (deployment
>> target) is >= 10.11.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of these differences.  I'm also aware, as you surely are, that
> sometimes behaviour depends (only) on what SDK you link against.
>
> If you scrub to around 43:37 here:
> <https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/203/>
>
> you'll see they specifically refer to "linked on 10.11".
>
> Besides, I both build and run on 10.11.6 and yet I see these
> message-to-zombie crashes after removing the setDelegate:nil code.

Those crashes are expected.

NSTableView's delegate is zeroing-weak when both of the following are true:
* Your app was built with the 10.11 SDK or newer.
* Your app is running on 10.12 or newer.

The delegate is unsafe-unretained when running on 10.11 and earlier, no matter
what SDK you built with.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com <mailto:gpar...@apple.com>     Runtime
Wrangler