I am going to have a web application running on a local laptop - which runs
various a prototype of a user experience.

I've been asked to add an iOS application to the mix, to control parameters
in the running app on the laptop.

What might be the best way to architect this type of set up (and also
easiest)? Have the web app poll a file for contents - and have the iOS app
talk to a PHP page with POSTs of values and write to that file - and have
my app poll it? Sounds terrible. Some AJAX thing? I'd like to avoid a
database if possible.

Just throwing this out there. If it's too off-topic, please disregard this.

Thanks,
Eric