It is an OSX Cocoa GUI application. I have always started it from the command line by executing the executable inside the bundle. While this always worked, it no longer seems to.

That said, it didn't occur to me that there's a proper way, by using the "open" command. Thanks for the tip, this works nicely for my purposes!

Regards
Markus