> On Sep 26, 2016, at 3:31 AM, Slipp Douglas Thompson
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>
> I'm sorry if I'm not up to snuff on compiler architecture, but how would a
> pointer to the memory address of that same pointer ever collide with any
> other pointer?

When ***Somebody*** is Doing It Wrong.

Having been bitten before by this phenomenon (i.e, others doing bizarre,
illogical things; often in oddball close-source code libraries and/or drivers);
I felt compelled to point out that non-collision wasn’t an *absolute*
guarantee, but rather just a reasonable assumption *almost* always.

In other words, just when you think you’ve got it Idiot Proof, somebody goes
and invents a better Idiot…

:-)

>  Only one thing may exist at at time at a given memory address, so— yes, if
> you're assigning arbitrary values into a pointer instead of an actual valid
> memory address you could have a problem, but that usage in itself is the
> smell.

It’s not *you* - the good, sane programmer - who’s doing that. It’s the other
guy who’s Doing It Wrong… but it shows up as misbehavior in *your* code,
leading *you* to tear your hair out.

And yes, the malodorousness of that code is positively wretched… 8-p

Alternatively, a memory scribbler or leakage via an improperly initialized
variable may induce similar misbehavior (so, one should not assume that just
because it *shouldn’t* happen under sane circumstances, that it *can’t* when
facing a bug).

:-)