> On 7 Oct 2016, at 15:43, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 7, 2016, at 2:19 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <g...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:
>>
>> I need (just for debugging purposes) to count something in a thread safe
>> way.
>> […]
>> So I tried OSIncrementAtomic.
>> Now I get: "Implicit declaration of function 'OSIncrementAtomic' is invalid
>> in C99" and the linker fails, because it does not find it.
>> #import <libkern/OSAtomic.h> does not help at all.
>
> These problems are all because you're using the wrong name.
>
> If you #import <libkern/OSAtomic.h> then you get the declaration of
> OSAtomicIncrement32() (among other things).  Note this is not the name you
> tried (OSIncrementAtomic).  If you use the right name, the compiler warning
> and linker error will go away.

You are completely right. Following your advice everything works perfectly.

I just typed “OSIncrementAtomic” into Xcode Help and was informed that the
proper way to use it is:
SInt32 OSIncrementAtomic(volatile SInt32 *address);

The I tried OSAtomicIncrement32 and was told: “No Results”.

This is slightly irritating (and explains why I was using the wrong name).

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,

Gerriet.