> On Oct 14, 2016, at 6:43 AM, tridiak <trid...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>
> How does Xcode & Text Wrangler pull it off?

Xcode pretty heavily customizes the Cocoa text engine; even back in the
ProjectBuilder days they had a bunch of custom editing subclasses. I wouldn’t
be surprised if they implement their own tabbing for efficiency, since
obviously the docs it works with include a bazillion tab stops.

Text Wrangler doesn’t use Cocoa’s text system at all. It’s a variant of BBEdit,
which has been around since the early ‘90s so it must have its own text engine.

I’m surprised that there would be some arbitrary limit like 12 tab stops on a
line. That sounds like something to file a bug report about. All they need is
to change “kMaxTabStopsPerLine” to a bigger number like 100, right? :-p

—Jens