The NSIndexSet variants are (soft) deprecated.  They will likely be hard
deprecated (e.g. produce compiler warnings/errors) in a future release.  You
should only use the NSIndexPath versions going forward.  Using a mix of the two
variants of API is not supported.  To bind NSCollectionView
-selectionIndexPaths to NSArrayController’s -selectionIndexes you will have to
set up the observing glue to translate NSArrayController -selectionIndexes
changes into a set of NSIndexPaths and call NSCollectionView
-selectionIndexPaths, and vise versa.  Hope that helps.  Good luck.

—Rob