> On Nov 7, 2016, at 12:24 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Richard Charles <rcharles...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>    [doc performSelector:@selector(updateChangeCount:)
>>              withObject:@(NSChangeUndone)
>>              afterDelay:0];
>
> That one definitely won’t work. The parameter to updateChangeCount: is an
> integer (enum) value, not an object reference, but you’re calling it with an
> NSNumber object. The value actually passed to the method will be a garbage
> value based on the raw address* of the NSNumber object.

You are right, the method is passed a garbage value! I was under the mistaken
assumption that the frameworks would take care of this conversion for me.
(Cocoa magic has cast a spell on me.)

> If you want to use a delayed-perform to call a method that takes a non-object
> parameter, you have to create a new method that makes the call you want, then
> invoke _that_ method using a delayed perform.

That works.

> (Or you could just do things the modern way, with dispatch_async and a block.)

That also works.

> * I’m aware that small integers don’t turn into real NSNumber objects on the
> heap, rather a tagged pointer, but the result is the same: a pointer that
> will result in a garbage value when interpreted as an integer.

Very accurate answer Jens. Thanks so much for the help.

Life is good again. :)

--Richard Charles