This might help:
http://www.cimgf.com/2008/05/13/from-hacker-to-microisv-custom-file-formats/

In essence you create a folder and set attributes on it as you suspected. Though these are referred to as packages instead of bundles. Take a look at NSFileManager. You can create a directory that hides the file extension. You then have your open and save panels treat the file as a single file rather than a directory. You can also register a file extension with the OS so that when the file/bundle is double clicked it will open in your app.

Not sure if that's exactly what you wanted, but I'm not sure your storing user generated data this way in the Application Support folder is the best approach either. You probably want to support saving to files or use Core Data instead if you don't want custom file formats.

-Matt