The most relevant looking bug I can find seems to involve pushing & popping
view controllers. That said, setting the preferredContentSize on the navigation
controller directly should always work.

Setting preferredContentSize directly on the navigation controller works as
expected.  I’m more referring to the ability for navigation controllers to
catch the preferredContentSize changes of their child controllers, and then use
that observed size to automatically update their own preferredContentSize
(which I’d expect would just add the height of the navigation controller’s
UINavigationBar to the child’s observed size).  Is that expected to work (i.e.
is there currently a bug), or is the current lack of preferredContentSize
forwarding by design?

Alternatively you could use your own container view controller instead.

Hmm, interesting.  Are you suggesting that the presentation controller have
view controller property, add the view controller’s root view to the
presentation controller’s container view, and then do all the presentation work
in the view controller’s root view?

Dan