On Dec 18, 2016, at 2:15 AM, Kurt Bigler <kkbli...@breathsense.com> wrote:

> But if in Displays I set the resolution to 1920x1200 "More Space", then I
> can't get the backing store to match the 2880x1800 physical display
> resolution.  I need my NSView's backing store scale factor to be 1.5, but the
> doc says this is impossible.  As things are currently coded, my image gets
> smaller, and I get weird artifacts in high-contrast high-resolution
> information.  Presumably the backing store resolution is 3840x2400.

What exactly did you try?  For example, what size did you make your image for
this scenario?  How did you draw it?  Did you try drawing a 2880x1800 pixel
image to a 1920x1200 point rectangle (or some appropriate fraction of those
sizes) using CGContextDrawImage()?

You mention CALayer, albeit mostly in the context of something you don't know
much about.  Is your view layer-backed?  Does it make any difference if you
make it so by setting wantsLayer (either in code or in IB)?

Regards,
Ken