Hi all,

I have a master-detail iPad app with a hierarchy of table view controllers in
the master view controller side of a split view controller. When the app starts
in portrait mode the back button on the detail view navigation bar correctly
shows the title of the initial table view controller (“Subjects”). When I tap
on the button the Subjects tableview slides into view - i.e. the master view
appears. I then select a row in the table to push the next table view
controller (via segue) in the master view controller hierarchy
(title=“Scales”). The back button on the MVC side is correctly titled
“Subjects”. I now select a row in the “Scales” table which triggers a segue to
the detail view controller’s navigation controller. The master view slides away
to reveal the detail view. However, the back button on the DVC reads “Subjects”
instead of “Scales” as it should. Tapping on the button correctly causes the
“Scales” list to re-appear.

How can I get the correct title for the back button on the detail view
navigation bar for the second (“Scales”) table view? In my prepareForSegue
method in the Scales view controller I have these lines:

                detailViewController.navigationItem.leftBarButtonItem =
appDelegate.splitViewController.displayModeButtonItem;

detailViewController.navigationItem.leftItemsSupplementBackButton = YES;

I has assumed the displayModeButtonItem title would be updated when the master
view controller was pushed, but apparently not.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Any examples I could find always
only have a single master view controller.

Thanks,
Don Hall

Apps & More Software Design, Inc.
http://www.appsandmore.com