On Jan 15, 2017, at 09:22 , davel...@mac.com wrote:

> I have an iOS presentation app
> (https://itunes.apple.com/app/redraw/id1114820588?mt=8
> <https://itunes.apple.com/app/redraw/id1114820588?mt=8>) that I currently
> make videos from by AirPlaying it to my Mac and using Screenflow on the Mac
> to show the iPad screen and record my audio from a microphone (and then
> edit). I'd like to build this functionality into my app directly

AVFoundation doesn’t seem to have the ability of capturing screen video on iOS
— AVCaptureScreenInput is documented as Mac only. That would rule out
AVFoundation for the basic video capture within your app. You might be able to
capture a series of screen shots, but it has to be done in real time, and
that’s going to be tricky to get right on iOS where you’ll need to buffer the
captured images to storage that might not be fast enough.

If you mean you want to write a companion Mac app, then I guess you can use
AVCaptureScreenInput to capture the raw video, and then you could use
AVAssetWriter to export your final, composed video. However, AVAssetWriter is
*not* a real-time function, so you couldn’t rely on it keeping up if you tried
to export as the user interleaves the still images with the raw video. What
you’d need to do is add a playback/edit phase, where you played the raw video,
captured the timing of the user edits (letting the playback skip frames if the
edits held up the playback), then export the “composition” when the user is
done. (Or, you could export in the background *during* editing, which would
mean it would be done soon after the user finishes, but this may have adverse
effects on playback on a lower-end Mac.)

AVCaptureScreenInput does let you choose the screen, though.

FWIW, since I’m not sure I properly understood exactly what solution you’re
looking for.