I am occasionally seeing a NSURLErrorUnsupportedURL (unsupported URL) error
being returned by download tasks on a background NSURLSession, on iOS. Before
you ask, the URL (https://…) is properly formed, [NSURL URLWithString:] returns
a non-nil URL, and as an extra manual check I did an online validation of the
URL on a couple of different websites to see if I missed something.

The time between when the request is made and when it completes with an error
might be a minute or so, so the framework is immediately bailing on the
request. I'm wondering what part of the process generates the error. Does the
server return a non-200 status code or what? Searching for more detail in the
docs, etc., hasn't yielded anything except comments from people saying to make
sure that the scheme is specified.